We blogged about the building process of our house to document it for ourselves and to help others. Our house is finished and we have moved in and we love our home. Building a house isn't a process that goes perfectly, no matter what builder you pick, and this is our story. Every problem we had during the building process has been made right by Ryan homes. This isn't complaint blog, its how we felt at the time of our post during the building process.

Thursday, July 2, 2015

Week 7, Drywall and Siding and New Rules

I’m very happy with the progress this week on our house. We went from having our Pre-drywall meeting last Friday to having Drywall last Saturday, to having the drywall mudded and tapped and sliding being put up by Wednesday.  Wow. My PM runs a tight schedule, at least on my house, lol. We seem to be passing the others house that were ahead of us on the schedule. I wonder if those houses have a different PM. I did a quick look on Wednesday of the drywall and I did noticed they put drywall over our front left speaker and forgot to cut it out, all the rest of the things appear to be cut out.  It’s hard to tell if they are done with the tape and mud on the drywall yet, as they were still working on it when I was there, but it looked almost finish to me at quick look. I guess when they start painting I will know they are done, and it will be easier to find any imperfect drywall mud then. Our siding color is the perfect shade, not too dark or too light. Plus I’m a fan of brown since I like neutral colors. Pictures are at the bottom.


On another note, we got our weekly update email from our PM, and I not happy with what he had to say. He said they are going to start locking the doors and that the SRs don't have time to let us in, so the only time we can see the house is with him present 8am-3pm Mon-Fri. I'm fine with them locking the doors. But really the SRs don't have time to let us in our house, Well I work just like everyone else so those hours are inside my working hours, meaning I can't see my house until closing unless I take off work. I'm not happy with this. As our SR who sold us recently quit, so now we are left to the new SR who doesn't have time for us. Every weekend we have been going in the model waiting an hour or so for the new SR to say we can go in our house. And now they don't have time when they are going to start locking the doors. I don't want to waste our PM time as he is good at what he does and don't want to take him away from his job. But our SR should have the time. Note our SR didn't say she didn't have time to us, but our PM said she doesn't. We have only been checking in with our SR because we were told we have to by our PM. Now they throwing the twist in the rules because we were following the rules. So over these rules,

 

On a different note a good tip I learned to test to see if the drywall or stubs are perfectly straight for the whole wall without any tools, is the string test:

Have one person hold a sting 1in away from the wall at one end of the wall and other person hold the other end of the sting at the other end of the wall 1in away.

Look down the sting, if the gets closer and far away from the wall then the wall isn’t straight. The reason for the 1in because you want to see if the wall  curves out, not just in, you can adjust  this but make sure your both at the same distance away from the wall. You can do this up and down, side to side, or diagonal to test the wall to see if its straight. Move it up or down to test different points on the wall. The best is to test diagonal but you need a ladder for that on one end.

Note it doesn’t tell you if the wall is square or level, just straight.

Please know the wall isn’t going to be perfect, but it should be within  1-2cm overall. Don’t be too hard on your PM. It’s easier for them to fix if they’re in the framing stage and just use the studs for the test.






4 comments:

  1. That sucks! I can't imagine now being allowed into MY home. I know it's not ours yet, but I'm sure you have a nice down payment on it just like we do. So if the plumbers or electrician are there and the door is open, you aren't allowed to just peak in and see what's up? Or do you have to have the PM there with you? It does look like the drywall is pretty much done. The best way to tell, at least at our house, was there was drywall dust EVERYWHERE from the last big sanding. I love the siding color with the bright white trim and dark door. Very classic!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess the only thing that would be physically stopping me is the locked door, but the rule is he needs to be there. Funny you say something about the door being dark, it's actually still white just wide open, looking dark from the door being open, but it will be painted a dark maroon color. That 3 times I checked on the house all the windows were open and doors open, they don't even shut the doors when they leave at night currently, when we drive by its fully open, so I hope they start shutting the doors and windows, just want to be let in. Lol

      Delete
  2. That's a shame you'll be kept out. Are your appliances going in soon? They are known to disappear which may explain locking the doors.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They said they will be delivered the next week, so it's good they are locking the doors. I just want to be able to see, lol. Lucky my husband works a different shift so he will be able to visit without taking off.

      Delete